Monday, May 16, 2011

The Cheapside Market

On Saturday morning I took a ride into Bridgetown for a stop at the grocery store to pick up some basic items such as juice to keep in our room refrigerator. I also wanted to check out the Cheapside Market, a place I had researched before the trip.

I’m a big fan of farmers markets. From mid-spring to late autumn, nothing beats buying fresh locally grown produce. Michele and I frequent several of the local farmers markets here in New Jersey to find the fruits and vegetables of the season. We cook most of the meals we eat, seldom go out for dinner, and use fresh ingredients whenever we can. It makes quite a difference in the overall quality. The Cheapside Market makes the farmers markets at home seem very small by comparison!

I took the ZR to Bridgetown, hit the grocery store for some juice, then walked to the end of Broad Street and crossed through the park to Fontabelle Street, following it to Cheapside.

The market is located inside of a large building with open access from all sides. I walked in, immediately immersed in the hustle and bustle of the crowds purchasing produce from a seemingly endless number of vendors stacked end to end in crowded aisles. I encountered all types of fruits and vegetables that I’m familiar with; peppers, beans, yams, potatoes, bananas, coconuts, okra, cabbage, squash. Then, there were strange looking things I’ve never seen before.

I came to buy some fresh fruit, and the vendors were very helpful in directing me to find the fruit that I wanted. After mistaking a sliced up squash for a sliced up mango, the nice Bajan lady directed me to the stall next to her, where I bought several mangos. I also wanted bananas, and was sent to the far end of the aisle to buy a bunch. Everything is weighed on scales so you can buy as much as you like, or afford. The ‘Cheapside’ name is fitting as well, because I bought both the bananas and mangos for a total of $6 BDS (or $3 US).

Returning to the hotel with fresh fruit, part of me wished we had a kitchen so I could buy and cook some of the delicious produce at the Cheapside Market! Maybe next time.





TRAVEL TIPS:

Saturday is the busiest day at Cheapside. The market will be packed with vendors and all sorts of fruits and vegetables can be purchased.

Cheapside Market is located slightly east of the Princess Alice Bus Terminal. If you arrive at Princess Alice, walk towards Bridgetown and take the next north-bound street to Fotabelle Street and the market. If arriving at Fairchild or the ZR lot, make your way down Broad Street to the end, cross through the park, and continue on Fontabelle Street to the market.

Ask vendors if they have the fruit/vegetable you are looking for. If they do not, they will direct you to a stall that does. Prices are cheap (like the name!), don’t worry about haggling because you will be getting a better price than in a grocery store.

No comments:

Post a Comment