Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Lunch at J.J. Bitting Brewing Company

If there’s one thing I enjoy having on my birthday, it’s good beer. When I can sample some local brews, it’s even better. It took a little bit of research to find a brew pub in the area for a day trip, or more appropriately, afternoon trip. That’s how I stumbled upon the J.J. Bitting Brewing Company.

Just up the Parkway in Woodbridge, J.J. Bitting Brewing Company is conveniently located on Main Street underneath the railroad trestle that NJ Transit trains frequently pass over. It should come as no surprise that the pub theme is railroads, along with a miniature train making its rounds overhead on a model railroad track. The fermentation tanks also add a nice touch of atmosphere in the front of the pub.



I enjoyed all of the beers that I sampled; the HopGarden Pale Ale, Avenel Amber, Rat Pack Pilsner and Black Jack Stout. The food was excellent as well - I chose the rack of ribs to accompany the beer, and the portion was more than I could eat in a single meal. The menu included a diverse selection of appetizers, sandwiches, and entrees to choose from.

Michele and I finished our lunch and beers and we bought a growler of Avenel Amber to take home for the rest of the birthday weekend celebration.

If you enjoy craft beer, good food at reasonable prices, and authentic atmosphere with a casual dining experience, J.J. Bitting Brewing Company is a solid choice. We’ve already decided to come back soon to try some of the other entrees and sample the beers we didn't drink this time around.

Happy Birthday to me!


TRAVEL TIPS:

J.J. Bitting Brewing Company is located in downtown Woodbridge at 33 Main Street across from the train station. Follow directions and signs for downtown Woodbridge business district.

The pub opens at 11:30 AM Monday - Friday, 12:00 PM Saturday, and 3:00 PM Sunday.

Prices for most entrees are less than $20.00.

No comments:

Post a Comment